Nikons first ever FX format camera enables photographers who work under extreme conditions to stay ahead of the game. The D3 features a highly sensitive 12.1 megapixel CMOS sensor that boasts an extendable ISO range of 200 to 6400, and its Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter and EXPEED image processing engine enable it to shoot at a staggering 9 fps 11 fps in DX Crop mode. The advanced Scene Recognition System delivers superior exposures and is supported by Nikons next-generation 51-point AF system, which offers broad coverage and high sensitivity in low light.
Selectable Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing, saving time in post-production, and a high definition 3-inch LCD screen supports two Live View modes plus an HDMI video output. Protected by a tough, environmentally-sealed magnesium alloy body, the D3 sets the benchmark for professional action photography.- 12.1 megapixel FX format CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range and 12-channel readout. – ISO 200 6400: extendable up to 25600 equivalent and down to ISO 100 equivalent. – 9fps consecutive shooting 11fps in DX Crop mode – EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the cameras metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply defined images. – Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system. Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings. – Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling customization of image parameters before capture and offer complete control over sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes. – 920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle. – Live View with Autofocus enables composition of images using the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod. – Two Crop Modes: DX format and 5:4 ratio.
- Nikon’s original FX-format CMOS image sensor with 36.0 (H) x 23.9 (V) mm image size; 12.1 effective megapixels
- Compatible with three image-sensor formats – FX format (36 x 24), 5:4 (30 x 24) and DX format (24 x 16)
- Sensitivity range ISO 200 to 6400 at normal setting for exceptionally high-quality images; can be set to ISO-equivalent 25,600
- Incorporates Nikon’s original EXPEED digital image processing concept
- Nikon’s original Scene Recognition system, utilizing the 1,005-pixel RGB sensor, greatly improves autofocus, auto exposure and auto white balance performance
- New 51-point autofocus system features 15 cross-type sensors that maximize the potential of lenses with apertures as small as f/5.6
- High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 9 frames per second [FX format (36 x 24)/5:4 (30 x 24)]/approx. 11 fps [DX format (24 x 16)] *1
- Newly employed Picture Control System enables creation of desired picture with preferred tones
- Accurate focal-plane contrast AF*2 available with built-in Liveview mode
- Wireless Transmitter WT-4*3 (optional) realizes wireless connection of cameras with a PC, enabling thumbnail display of images taken with up to five of them, and downloading of images selected
- CF card double slot accepts two CF cards
- Quick response with approx. 0.12 sec. startup time and 37 ms Shutter-release time lag
- Viewfinder with approx. 100% frame coverage and approx. 0.7x magnification in FX format
- High-definition (920,000 dots), 170˚ viewing angle, 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with tempered glass
- Active D-Lighting optimizes tone reproduction in both shadows and highlights
- *1With Continuous-servo AF, S or M exposure mode, shutter speed 1/250 sec. or faster; other settings are set at “Default”.
- *2When Tripod mode is selected.
- *3Specifications differ depending on country or area.